Tuesday, March 20, 2007

IKEA Serves 'Flat Pack' Food

Restaurant Review

Just like the neatly packed furniture, the cafeteria at the IKEA store Rhodes, also feels rather neat and tidy. As I took a tray and slid it along the rails, selecting various juice and entree' combinations, I felt like I was, in their words an IKEA 'co-worker'. Reminiscent of a school that I have never attended, the feeling of belonging was as strong as the cold sterile surroundings.

A cheap meal got me interested, and with a cooked breakfast for $2 it's sure to raise an eyebrow. By the time I had collected enough items to fill my tum, I found that I had spend $7.50. Still not so bad since I had a cooked breakfast and felt like part of a team.

The food wasn't so bad. The bacon wasn't the best cut, but it was cooked properly and tasted nice. The scrambled egg was a little watery, but again I enjoyed it, along with the apple danish, hash brown (I love potato), and an apple/guava juice.

I was a satisfied diner.

The fact that I was happy with my meal will be blindingly obvious when I tell you what I did the following day.

I went to IKEA for lunch. This time I had meatballs and chips. It would appear to be a staple diet in Sweden, meatballs that is. In fact this time I was more impressed than the last, the meatballs were great and I again was satisfied.

What was interesting about the size of my meatballs serving was that they were measured by number of balls. I had opted for the medium size which entitled me to 15 balls (I think). I suppose there is no other way to measure the serving when there are three serving sizes available.

All in all I would recommend the restaurant for a cheap meal break during a long day of shopping, or as a quick breakfast on the way past on Homebush Bay Drive. Although, be aware that their breakfast does not start until 9.30am.

Send in your own local restaurant reviews to the email on the right.

By Mike Biggs

No comments: